LINDA TRACE DESIGNS

crafty adventures of a makeup loving Japanophile!

.

.

Monday 1 August 2011

The Play Date Cafe Challenge

Hi!

As I mentioned recently, I've decided to participate in as many challenges as I can, to try to bring out some more skills/challenge myself to use colours or styles that I might not normally.

I found a gorgeous blog called The Play Date Cafe. They are currently running a colour challenge using the following palette:




Se Magnifique!! (If you speak French, please ignore that haha!)
How amazingly beautiful are these colours?! (Technically: Petal Pink, Coral and Antique Gold.)

SO! Without further ado, here is a card I've made for the 'The Play Date Cafe' challenge #92.

 Isn't that little doggy adorable?! He's a PTI stamp I got in a recent HAUL. (I spoiled myself one last time before home loan repayments began lol!)

The sentiment and pink-stamped Mat Stack 3 are also from PTI.

The background was stamped wtih HA La Letter woodblock stamp and heat embossed in white. I then used Distress Inks Antique Linen, Tattered Rose and Victorian Velvet (and edged just a little with Walnut Stain as always lol). I love how the white heat embossed text resists the other coloured inks. *sigh*

 Here you can see the resist. I love how the colour layers just blended seamlessly (if I do say so myself! lol)

I coloured the little pup in with copics and added a felt flower (used a My Favourite Things flower die).

I hope you like it!! I'm very happy with the result.

I loved the colours so much that I couldn't stop at just one thing, so here is my second submission:



sorry for the poor photo, I couldn't get the bookmark to stand upright!

My mother in law reads almost constantly so I thought this might make a nice gift for her.  

I cut the cardstock to size then distress inked over the whole thing. I started with Antique Linen, then added Tattered Rose and just a tiny bit of Victorian Velvet, to achieve the Antique Gold look (required for the colour challenge). I edged with a hint of Walnut Stain.

I then stamped over the whole thing with the Hero Arts La Letter stamp (again!) but this time using Victorian Velvet distress ink.

I used the HA stamp with Walnut Stain distress ink, then I heat embossed using Ranger Distress Embossing Powder in a really bright pink (sorry it's late, the names are escaping me right now!)
 
I then went around the edges and in the 'gaps' with some white gel pen to bring the flower image out more, the effect is quite surprising. It's so effective.




I topped and 'bottomed' the bookmark with some gorgeous lace ribbon a friend sent me as a RAK (thanks Joy!) and added some gemstones to the centre of the larger flowers and .
Well there you have it! I did my best to get the colours accurate.

I'll be back soon with some more cards I've made for the CAS challenge blog :)

Hope you enjoyed!

lots of hugs---


Linda xxx

3 comments:

Lisa Elton said...

Both are wonderful Linda! Yep..the little dog is a cutie and your bookmark has a lovely vintage look! Well done :)

Tracey said...

WOW FABULOUS projects using the PDCC colours Linda!!! LOVE your inking/embossed background on that beautiufl card, and the lace is the perfect touch to that pretty bookmark! Thanks so much for joining us at The Play Date Cafe :)

Michele Gross said...

2 gorgeous cards! Wonderful job with the colors and I love the design style range :) Glad you played along at The Play Date Cafe!