LINDA TRACE DESIGNS

crafty adventures of a makeup loving Japanophile!

.

.

Thursday 18 November 2010

Christmas cards to inspire Day 2


Hello!!

Welcome to day 2 of my Christmas Cards to Inspire week!

Yesterday I showed you the pretty effects if you use Distress Inks as Watercolor paints on standard Cardstock.
Today I want to show you the difference when you use watercolor paper, which has much more texture and thus, a better ability to tolerate more liquid.  It also leaves a pretty textured LOOK about the image, which I think is perfect for animals like...(you guessed it!! That cute little reindeer again) *wink*

Let's get straight to the card shall we?

This card has a really cute rustic feel about it, which I love. Sometimes I absolutely hate cards that--how can I put this the right way?!-- Take themselves too seriously.  Does that make sense?! I love cards that are pretty or cute or even whimsical--but no matter what, I love them to have a hand-made look, which this one does I think.

I used two techniques to create this one.

The first is using the watercolor paper with Distress Inks.  The second, is using my Acrylic Block to create that bluey-grey background.

To achieve this second technique (which was actually my first step), I dabbed some Tumbled Glass and Stormy Sky as well as Weathered Wood Distress Inks onto my acrylic block (Yes, I said ONTO the acrylic block---not the stamp).  Then I spritzed the acrylic block with a good 6 or 7 spritzes of water using my Ranger Mini Mister and then 'stamped' it onto Hero Arts Bright White Watercolor Paper .

I then cut my cardstock a 1/4" larger than the square of ink my acrylic block created (to leave a border of white). Then I edged my paper with Walnut Stain Distress Ink.

When the paper was dry, there was a really clear space in the color from the acrylic 'stamping', so I used that space to stamp my Hero Arts Fancy Reindeer in Black Stayzon Ink.
When the Reindeer image was dry, I used the same painting technique mentioned yesterday. I put the Frayed Burlap Distress Ink Pad upside down on my Ranger Inkssentials Craft Sheet to put the ink directly onto the craft mat, then spritzed with water.  Using a fine-tipped paintbrush, I painted the reindeer.  To give some shading, I waited for the ink to soak into the paper a little before putting a slight second 'coat' of ink down around the bottom of the reindeer's stomach and legs.
I used Fired Brick Distress Ink again for his scarf and nose (which I also popped a dot of Glossy Accents on).

Next I stamped the sentiment from Hero Arts Sprinkle Your Holidays with Black Stayz on Ink.

Then I adhered the watercolor paper 'layer' onto a  Hero Arts Cerulean (sky blue) notecard which I had trimmed down to size.  I edged the notecard in Walnut Stain Distress Ink after distressing the edges of the card.

Lastly I added some Hero Arts Small Accent Pearl (mine were white so I colored them with a Copic marker, but you can get some beautiful Light Blue ones that would be perfect)as well as some dots of Ranger Icicle Stickles to look like snowfall (and to add just a little bling *wink*).

I couldn't resisite popping a cute little blue and silver button from my stash in the corner, threading it with some red and white bakers twine for a final touch.

Hope you liked this one! I love the homey and textured look and feel of it!  I hope my explanation of the steps makes sense to you all, if you have any questions, PLEASE feel free to email me or leave a comment!


Please leave comments to let me know what you think!

See you tomorrow!

Linda xx

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Linda. I love the feeling of fresh winter air the card has!