LINDA TRACE DESIGNS

crafty adventures of a makeup loving Japanophile!

.

.

Sunday 26 August 2012

Meeting Hello Sandwich

Hi hi!!

Public Service Announcement: this is a wordy post. :)

A couple of months ago I stumbled across a blog post that offered 101 ideas for ways to use Washi Tape (or something like 101)...on the list of links and suggestions, was a url for the blog Hello Sandwich.

Hello Sandwich is the 'stage name' (I guess you could call it that!) for an amazingly talented crafter named Ebony. She's Aussie, she lives in Japan and she loves Washi tape. (Hello Mirror more like it! lol)

AAaaanyhoo, I stalked followed her blog and watched her super cute youtube videos, (in-chair-danced to the music on the videos lol) even bought her e-zine which is choc-a-block full of CUUUTE ideas for washi (among other items).

Everything about her blog is UBER-Japanese. Lots of white space, LOTS of cute graphics, lots of splashes of colour in delightful ways. In short--I'm in love.

I digress.

So a few weeks back I found out she was going to be holding a class in Australia--MELBOURNE!!! I looked into it but unfortunately it was on a day when hubs works, so there was no chance to go...until she decided to add on an extra class on the following Monday (hubs' day off!!)... so I went.

Long story short, it was madness and I made the hour+ trip into the city, got hopelessly lost, came home distraught that I'd missed out. I contacted the workshop venue and left a message explaining how disappointed I was to have missed it but that I couldn't find the place ANYWHERE...

Then I got a call from Hello Sandwich herself asking if I would come back to craft with her for whatever time there was left of the class. So I did. I drove back into the city (another hour+ travel plus crazy traffic!) I got there FINALLY *phew*

and boy am I glad I did...I'll give you the rest in photos :)



class in progress :)


 Those are my things on the bottom :) The class made the bags at the top of the photo (and you can see everyone holding in the photo below. Hello Sandwich was SO lovely and gave me the ones she made as demonstration for everyone, so I'd have something to take home :)

Some of the adorable things on display made by Hello :)



I can't wait to sit down and make make make after this class I'm bursting full of ideas.


I've never crafted with other people before and it was SO fun. I can't wait to do it again!

If you would like to buy Hello Sandwich's zine or new book--go to her blog www.hellosandwich.blogspot.com.au/  I recommend it--such cute ideas!

Thank you SO much to Hello Sandwich for not only holding a fun, fabulous class, but for taking the time to contact me personally and asking me to come back. I'm so glad you did!

Love love

Linda xx

7 comments:

rcwidow (Linda) said...

Sounds fabulous! Glad you got to go. Thanks for sharing her blog. Can't wait to check it out.

Leslie Hanna said...

I'm so glad you went back! It looks like you had a blast!

Unknown said...

Oh Linda it sounds like your move to Melbourne has just opened up a ton of creative opportunities for you:) I am so glad you found your way!

http://visionsofpaper.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Im sooo glad you finally got there and got to craft with her! That class looks like soo much fun! Your creations are gorgeous too :)

sideoats + scribbles said...

WAH!!!!!!!!!! I have wished I could meet Hello Sandwich for ages! She is one of my crafty heros!!! I have her book and zine too, as you said they are awesome!!! I love her blog!!!! Jason and I even say "hello, sandwich" when we are eating a sandwich ha! :)

She sounds just as super nice in real life as she does on her blog! Love love! xo

sideoats + scribbles said...

Oh and when I start missing Tokyo I just look at her instagram feed :) Love!

Hello Sandwich said...

Hello Linda, Thank you so much for coming along and this lovely post! I am so glad you could come and craft with us!
xoxo