LINDA TRACE DESIGNS

crafty adventures of a makeup loving Japanophile!

.

.

Thursday 30 June 2011

Inspired By Joy Taylor Day 1

Hello!!!

You've all heard me rave about Joy Taylor, but just in case you're unaware of who she is or how amazing her creations are, click over to her blog RIGHT NOW!!

I'm so excited to be presenting these cards that were inspired by the magical Joy, that I'm just going to jump right in--

Are you all sighing with me?! I mean seriously, it's almost ridiculous how pretty this card is!!

Here is my little offering in 'homage' of the magnificent original:


I'm such a huge fan of kraft paper lately, I can't get enough of it!

The flower is from Hero Arts' Flower Corsage (CG287). I just stamped half the stamp in versamark and heat embossed it in white, then cut it out.
I coloured it using Copic Markers, using a light pink first, over the whole image, then 2 'subsequently' darker pinks on the inside of each petal to give the impression of depth/shadow.

Here is a closer image of the flower:
The doily die is from My Favourite Things (quickly winning the race to MY favourites list! Great dies at that company!)

Now, I don't have the Papertrey Ink Picnic Plaid Impression plate (embossing folder) so I did my embossing on the kraft background, by hand.

I just turned the kraft cardstock on an angle (so that the two diagonal corners were lined up) on my Martha Stewart Score board, then ran my 'stylus' down the scoreline and then continued every 1/8 of an inch for 4 'stripes'. I then skipped a 1/2 inch and started again. When I had finished the entire card front, I rotated it 180 degrees and did the same going the other way (Hope that makes sense--let me know if you want to see a tutorial!)

It's a slow process to do it by hand, but not difficult. You just have to be careful and precise.

Here is a closeup of the embossed effect:

I think it looks great.

I then finished the card with a few Joy-ish gemstones (coz that's what she would do *wink*) and stamped the sentiment from HA in Memento Tuxedo Black ink.

So there you go! There's card 1 in the series! I do hope you like my little take!

Be back here tomorrow for the next card :)

Take care and please feel free to leave me a comment, I'd truly love to hear what you think.

*hugs*

Linda xx

5 comments:

Joy said...

What a gorgeous card Linda...love your take on my card and absolutely superb work on doing the background by hand..looks so fab...thanks and hugs!

Lin said...

WOW, this is gorgeous! Gorgeous Gorgeous Gorgeous!!!! I'm a flower girl, so this really speaks to me! Beautifully done, Linda!

Barb said...

Hi Linda! So good to "see" you! I've loved Joy's amazing work for a long time and your take on her card is beautiful! Love the coloring on that pretty flower and I can't believe you scored those lines by hand. . .great job! I'll be back tomorrow. . . .I love inspired-by posts! :)

judy said...

Lovely card, Linda!! I would love to see a tutorial of how you did the embossed lines.

Kathy (krolski) said...

Your cards are gorgeous!